Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake

Mike and I went to the San Diego Cake Parade last weekend. I was quite impressed that Mike actually agreed to go - but I think he was impressed. There must have been more than 50 cakes along the parade. It had a variety of categories - everything from youth to amateur to professional, and fondant to butter cream to gum paste - there was even a non-cake category.
It was for charity, so they had raffles for gift baskets, an auction for the cakes, and a station where you could get a decorated cupcake or decorate your own. One guess how Mike decorated his cupcake (hint: think pumpkin carving).
Have I mentioned these cakes were amazing. So, without further adieu, check it out.














Mike and I both thought the puzzle pieces were very creative.

Yes, the pyramid and pharoah are cakes! wow.



Can you believe this is a cake? Regardless of your artistic preferences, you have to recognize the talent here. Yes, she has mushroom hair, green skin, and some pretty glamorous eyes, holding the world in her hands. I doubt the pictures do these cakes justice.


And, I made the brownie pops in the middle and left. I did not make the guitar cake with the King's picture on it... but growing up in Tupelo, I had to include it.


If you can't tell, Mikes has a green deere on it (funny how that keeps poping up all over the house:)), and mine is symetrically appealing, yet lacking in creativity.
Now, here's the question, as remarkable as these cakes are - do they really make you hungry? Would you want to cut into that alien woman? or ruin a pyramid or Elvis' guitar? I'd rather grab a cupcake :)

2 comments:

  1. wow! what an outing! Taryn and I like the safari/animal skin cake. Very fun! I need more posts from you about cultural SD events... I don't get out much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! You have a blog! Those cakes are insane.

    ReplyDelete